Your privacy is critically important to us. At Evolve Research, we have a few fundamental principles:
- We are thoughtful about the personal information we ask you to provide and the personal information that we collect about you through the operation of our services.
- We store personal information for only as long as we have a reason to keep it.
- We aim to protect the data that you enter into our service and prevent access to that data from unauthorised parties.
- We aim for full transparency on how we gather, use, and share your personal information.
Who We Are and What This Policy Covers
Information We Collect
We only collect information about you if we have a reason to do so–for example, to provide our Service, to communicate with you, or to make our Service better. We collect information in three ways: if and when you provide information to us, automatically through operating our Service, and from outside sources. Let’s go over the information that we collect.
Information You Provide to Us
It’s probably no surprise that we collect information that you provide to us. The amount and type of information depends on the context and how we use the information. Here are some examples:
- Basic Account Information: We ask for basic information from you in order to set up your account. For example, we require individuals who sign up for an account to provide an email address along with their full name.
- Team Information: A name for the team or workspace that you set up.
- Communication Preferences: When and how we can send you communications that are not directly related to the use of your account (such as news or tips sent via email).
- Billing and Contact Information: If you sign up to paid plan you will provide additional personal and payment information, such as your name (and if applicable name of the organisation you represent), credit card information, and contact information.
- Content: Any content that you provide during your use of our Service (such as projects, transcripts, notes, themes, insights, images, files, etc.).
- Subscription Details: Any details about the nature of the subscription(s) that you have with us, including configuration of your account and plan that you have chosen.
- Communications with Us: During your use of the Service you may send messages, fill out questionnaires, respond to surveys, send feedback, or make enquiries.
- Credentials: We collect hashed passwords for authentication and account access.
Information We Collect Automatically
We also collect some information automatically:
- Log Information: Like most online service providers, we collect information that web browsers, mobile devices, and servers typically make available, such as the browser type, IP address, unique device identifiers, language preference, referring site, the date and time of access, operating system, and mobile network information. We collect log information when you use our Services regardless of whether or not you are authenticated
- Usage Information: We collect information about your usage of our Services. Some examples of the usage information that we collect: when and how frequently you log in, your activity on projects, which teams or wokspaces you are part of, which pages and sections of our website and app that you visit, the duration of your visits, whether or not you are authenticated when you use the app
- Location Information: We may determine the approximate location of your device from your IP address. We collect and use this information to, for example, calculate how many people visit our Services from certain geographic regions and to provide a tailored localised experience (such as date formats and currencies).
- Information from Cookies & Other Technologies: A cookie is a string of information that a website stores on a visitor’s computer, and that the visitor’s browser provides to the website each time the visitor returns. Pixel tags are small blocks of code placed on websites and emails. We us cookies and other technologies like pixel tags to help us identify and track visitors, usage, and access preferences for our Services, as well as track and understand email campaign effectiveness and to deliver targeted ads.
How and Why We Use Information
Purposes for Using Information
We use information about you as mentioned above and for the purposes listed below:
- To provide our Services, for example: to set up and maintain your account, host your content, charge you for any of our paid Services, or provide you with hints and tips for using the service (if you allow this in your communication preferences).
- To further develop and improve our Service, for example: by adding new features that we think our users will enjoy or will help them to store and manage their content more easily.
- To monitor and analyze trends and better understand how users interact with our Service, which helps us improve our Service and make it easier to use.
- To measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising, and better understand user retention and attrition, for example: we may analyze how many individuals purchased a paid plan after receiving a marketing message or the features used by those who continue to use our Service after a certain length of time.
- To monitor and prevent any problems with our Service, protect the security of our Services, detect and prevent fraudulent transactions and other illegal activities, fight spam, and protect our rights and property, and the rights and property of others, which may result in us declining a transaction or the use of our Service.
- To communicate with you. For example, we may email you to solicit your feedback, share tips for getting the most out of our products, or keep you up to date on our company; text you to verify your payment; or call you to share offers and promotions that we think will be of interest to you. If you don’t want to hear from us, you can opt out of marketing communications at any time. (Please keep in mind that even if you opt out, we’ll still send you important updates relating to your account).
- To personalize your experience using our Services, provide content recommendations, target our marketing messages to groups of our users (for example, those who have a particular plan with us or have been our user for a certain length of time), and serve relevant advertisements.
- To provide predictive insights and analytics, for example: to provided suggested themes or insights based on machine learning analysis of your data
Legal Bases for Collecting and Using Information
A note here for those in the European Union about our legal grounds for processing information about you under EU data protection laws, which is that our use of your information is based on the grounds that: (1) The use is necessary in order to fulfill our commitments to you under the applicable terms of service or other agreements with you or is necessary to administer your account--for example, in order to enable access to our website on your device or charge you for a paid plan; or (2) The use is necessary for compliance with a legal obligation; or (3) The use is necessary in order to protect your vital interests or those of another person; or (4) We have a legitimate interest in using your information -- for example, to provide and update our Services; to improve our Services so that we can offer you an even better user experience; to safeguard our Services; to communicate with you; to measure, gauge, and improve the effectiveness of our advertising; to understand our user retention and attrition; to monitor and prevent any problems with our Services; and to personalize your experience; or (5) You have given us your consent--for example before we place certain cookies on your device and access and analyze them later on.
How We Share Information
We do not sell our users’ private personal information. We share information about you in the limited circumstances spelled out below and with appropriate safeguards on your privacy:
- Third Party Vendors: We may share information about you with third party vendors who need to know information about you in order to provide their services to us, or to provide their services to you or your site. This group includes vendors that help us provide our Services to you (like payment providers that process your credit and debit card information, payment providers you use for your ecommerce operations, fraud prevention services that allow us to analyze fraudulent payment transactions, postal and email delivery services that help us stay in touch with you, customer chat and email support services that help us communicate with you), those that assist us with our marketing efforts (e.g. by providing tools for identifying a specific marketing target group or improving our marketing campaigns), and those that help us understand and enhance our Service (like analytics providers).
- Legal and Regulatory Requirements: We may disclose information about you in response to a subpoena, court order, or other governmental request.
- With Your Consent: We may share and disclose information with your consent or at your direction. For example, we may share your information with third parties with which you authorize us to do so.
Information Shared Publicly
Information that you choose to make public is–you guessed it–disclosed publicly. This means that should you change the security and sharing settings for a project or workspace to enable access by anyone then this information will be available publicly.
How Long We Keep Information
We generally discard information about you when we no longer need the information for the purposes for which we collect and use it--which are described in the section above on How and Why We Use Information--and we are not legally required to continue to keep it.
While no online service is 100% secure, we work very hard to protect information about you against unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction, and take reasonable measures to do so, such as monitoring our Services for potential vulnerabilities and attacks. Your account and any information that we collect is managed by strict Access Control Lists, which prevents anyone from accessing your information unless you have explicitly given them access.
All information we collect about you (including content that you add to the Service) are stored in a data centre located in Australia.
If you are located in certain countries, including those that fall under the scope of the European General Data Protection Regulation (AKA the “GDPR”), data protection laws give you rights with respect to your personal data, subject to any exemptions provided by the law, including the rights to:
- Request access to your personal data;
- Request correction or deletion of your personal data;
- Object to our use and processing of your personal data;
- Request that we limit our use and processing of your personal data; and
- Request portability of your personal data.
You can usually access, correct, or delete your personal data using your account settings and tools that we offer, but if you aren’t able to do that, or you would like to contact us about one of the other rights, email email@example.com for assistance. EU individuals also have the right to make a complaint to a government supervisory authority.